Monday, January 10, 2011

In vino veritas

Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
And I'll not look for wine.
Ben Jonson (1573–1637)
To Celia



Wine testing...

A glass of wine a day/night is good for the heart... Right?

I've decided, on my quest to try new things, that I am going to try wine. Yeah, yeah.. I'm not much of a drinker and I never have been. I don't smoke, don't drink except occasionally, and I've never done an illegal drug in my life. I have a bit of a self-control issue. Anyway, I can count on one hand how many times I've been stone-cold drunk and still have a couple of fingers left over. I think if I actually liked the taste of beer or alcohol then I'd have become an alcoholic a long time ago. Yes, it's true, I do not like the taste of beer, ANY beer! I can drink it, but I need salt or to have had a couple of shots of something else to where I don't really taste it while drinking it. I like my tequila, though I need salt and lime, and I like my Southern Comfort and coke, Jack and coke, Rum and coke, but since I don't go out often and I am not compelled to buy the stuff from liquor stores, I very rarely drink. Also, it doesn't take much to get me drunk. Four shots of tequila and I'm buzzing pretty good. Anymore than that, and I'm losing at strip poker-that would be one of the few times I was drunk and it's not a pretty memory of seeing a couple of guys sitting across from you wearing your bra and undies on their head. *Sigh*


Moving on, as I was rambling (perhaps my blog should be names Rambling Mumbling Mayhem), I have decided I need to drink a glass of wine a night. Though, for someone who has an adverse taste for alcohol, where do I start? I've drunk boxed wine, hobo wine, however you want to call it and again, that was one of the times I got drunk (thankfully no stripping was involved in that one) and that was an okay wine, though not the type I'd want to drink a glass of every night. I want something classy... I know nothing about wines. I believe I want something a bit fruity, maybe? Something smooth and that the alcohol taste is hidden. How do I find the wine right for me without spending bookoos of money on bottles that might never get drunk? This is a quest I am going to have to think over before firmly adding to my list. I'm going to need help, advice, someone to tell me how to start.

I wonder if they ever do wine taste testings anywhere around me... That would be fun.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe wine tasting is something we should also add to our list of things to do this year, yes? I have a good taste in my selections of wines, though not much of a wine drinker, I like the dry, fruitful flavors that don't leave a chalky after taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's added to my list, so to speak. I am just not sure where I am going to start! You are more than welcome to join me though :)

    I'm looking forward to Ink Tour and Sushi.. Heh... okay, maybe not the Sushi so much, but I'm going to try it regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a wine drinker all the way! Never makes me sick or hung over...I tell everybody it's for my health too ;)

    ReplyDelete